Contactually isn’t designed for one specific niche of customers. It’s purposefully designed to accommodate a variety of needs. Utilizing custom fields allows you to personalize your account to display the specific pieces of information that are important to you.
In this post you will learn:
STEP 1: GO TO YOUR SETTINGS
- Click on your picture or initials in the top right corner of your account.
- Click on Settings.
- On the left hand side under Features, select Custom Fields. You will now be taken to your custom fields settings page.
STEP 2: NAME YOUR CUSTOM FIELDS
This screen will allow you to create your custom fields. Just select ‘Add Custom Field’:
Name: This category will appear on every contact’s record.
FIELD TYPE: The type of custom field you want.
Text (Single-Line) – This will give you a line of text.
Text (Multi-Line) – This will give you a paragraph of text.
List – Choose options from a dropdown list.
True/False – Options are given as check boxes. You can check more than one.
DEFAULT VALUE: What will automatically show up in the custom field until you change it. Most people keep this blank.
Common examples you can include:
- Type in “Pet’s Name” in the Field Label. Leave it as a Text (Single-Line). Click Save.
- Type in “Hobbies & Interests” in the Field Label. Change the Field Type to a Text (Multi-Line). Click Save.
- Type in “Subscription” in the Field Label. Change the Field Type to Line. Type in “Premium” and hit your Enter key. Type in “Small Business”. Click Save.
STEP 3: ADD DATA TO YOUR CUSTOM FIELDS
Now that custom fields have been created, let’s add that information into a contact’s record.
- Search for Zvi Band in the white search box at the top of your Contactually account.
- Bring up Zvi’s profile. He should be in there from when you first signed up for Contactually. If he’s not, feel free to use any contact in your system.
- Click the Edit link in the top right corner of the contact profile. This is where you can edit contact information, including custom fields.
- Fill in the information for the custom fields. Once you’re done, click Save and that data will populate to the contact record.
On the contact record, you’ll see the Custom Fields on the right side of the account. Additionally, only custom fields with information in them will display on the record.
- Interest & Hobbies
- Significant other’s name
- Child’s name
- Pet’s name
- Where/how you met
- Favorite sports team
- Subscription/product purchased in past
- Time zone
- Referred by
- Preferred method of communication
- Event contact attended
- Assistant name
- On mailing list
- Custom fields will apply to *all* contacts. We will only show the custom field in the contact record if there is data to be shown
- Custom fields are also Dynamic Fields in email templates.
- Custom fields will be exported during a .CSV export. Conversely, you can import custom fields via a. CSV import.
Learn how to start conversations when you’re not sure what to say.