You understand that your network is one of the most important assets to your life and business, so how do you keep it healthy? By providing value and staying in touch.
In this post you will create buckets that reflect time frames instead of groups. This way, when you bucket a contact, it won’t matter what group he/she belongs to. You can categorize the individual by how frequently you want to stay in touch.
These are the people in your life that consistently provide you value. Often times it’s a very small, select group of people that fall into this bucket, so be picky about who goes in here.
These are the people in your network that you want to retain a relationship with but it’s not critical to keep in touch on a fairly regular basis.
These are the people that are great to know but not immediately relevant to your life. Checking in once a year will still allow you to keep a pulse on the relationship while not overwhelming them with constant emails.
- Click on the Buckets tab at the top of your screen.
- Click the Add New Bucket button to create these 3 buckets.
- (Optional) Add a Goal to for the buckets.
- Click the white box under Reminders to indicate you want a follow-up time frame associated with them.
In the beginning of your journey with Contactually, it’s a good idea to stick to 3 buckets that have follow up reminders. Once you get the hang of Contactually, you can increase the number of buckets with follow up reminders. Feel free to create other buckets for categorization (“No Follow Up Needed”, “Vendors”, “Personal Contacts”, etc.) but do not put a follow-up time frame on them.
- Don’t put a follow up time frame of less than 14 days unless this is a bucket that contacts will reside in temporarily.
- Contacts can go into more than one bucket.
- Be strict about who goes into these buckets. Keep the # of contacts to no more than 3x the follow up days. For example, a bucket with a 30 day time frame should not have more than 90 contacts in it.
Learn about what templates you can use to bring value to your network and save you time following up.